We Feel it is Important that Everyone Becomes Aware of the Following Factoids:
- Hearing loss is the THIRD most common chronic health problem in the United States.
- Over 16% of American adults suffer hearing loss in the speech range.
- Nearly 2/3 of Americans with hearing loss are UNDER retirement age.
- Hearing loss is stressful for not only the person with the hearing loss, but also for family and friends. As research continues, we’re discovering that the negative impact of stress on health is even more serious than previously realized.
- Some chronic medical conditions like diabetes may contribute to the development of hearing loss.
- Some medications, including some used to treat high blood pressure or antibiotics, may cause hearing loss.
- Hearing loss is often gradual and noticed by others BEFORE the person with the loss recognizes it.
Some possible consequences of untreated hearing loss include:
- Sadness and depression
- Worry and anxiety
- Reduced social activity
- Emotional turmoil and insecurity